This programme was created to find those who have been trying to break into comedy writing and helping them to do so. The eligibility criteria is based around demonstrating you have been actively trying to write comedy professionally and need support to help you make the jump.
If you’re considering applying for The Betty Box and Peter Rogers Comedy Writing Awards, to meet the criteria you need to demonstrate:
- At least two years’ experience in the Film & TV industry since 16 years of age, that is not acting or presenting. Your experience doesn’t need to be current or consecutive and you may have a mix of experience. This could be as broad as working as an usher in your local cinema to working in the office of a production company or broadcaster.
- At least one professional writing credit. This could be a writing credit on any of your work that has been commissioned by a broadcaster or is paid, and does not include self-published works.
- A significant commitment to writing comedy for the screen. You need to demonstrate you have been writing comedy and attempting to develop your writing career over the past couple of years.
- You need to demonstrate why you need the £10,000 award and how you plan to spend it. You should show you’re in need of financial support, and have a clear idea of how the funding would be spent in order to help your writing.
To support your application, you will be asked to provide:
- A short biography and CV. This short biography should be a couple of paragraphs on your journey to this point: where have you come from, where are you now and where are you hoping to get to? We are interested in understanding who you are as a person and a writer.
- Links to significant works. This could be links to pieces of writing that you have never made public, a blog entry written as a piece of comedy, a piece of YouTube content, or a short film. Please send us up to three links – they should all be works that you consider to be comedy. Please choose works that you feel best demonstrate your talent – they don’t necessarily have to be technically brilliant or professionally produced, but your comedy voice should come across.
If you have any questions about the criteria or whether you meet the criteria, contact Mark Clark on mark.clark@filmTVcharity.org.uk
Eligibility for writing teams
There are two options of how to handle the application if you are a member of a writing team:
- Apply as an individual within the team. You may be submitting an idea that was created by more than one person, but providing the individual satisfies the eligibility criteria and holds permission to submit the team’s original work, you may still apply. If an individual from a writing team is selected, only that individual will receive support from the programme; writing partners will not.
- Apply as a team. If you would like your writing partner to be involved in the programme then you can apply as a team. All members applying for the programme must satisfy the eligibility criteria in order to qualify. If a writing team is selected for the programme, members of the team will share the sum of one development award (£10,000) between them. The organisers’ retain the right to offer an unequal split of the funding to each writer in the event of their individual need being deemed disproportionate.
The first Betty Box & Peter Rogers Comedy Writing Awards launched in October 2016.
The programme is currently going through a re-brand and dates for the 2018 entry are yet to be finalised.
Get In Touch
If you’re unsure whether you meet the criteria, get in touch with us and we’ll be able to help you. Even if you don’t meet the criteria for this award we may be able to provide other support for your career. Get in touch.