Help with benefits and grants
Life as a freelancer in the film, TV and cinema industry can bring some unique financial concerns, but you may be eligible for additional support. We’re here to help and have some useful information, tools, and resources that can help you understand what benefits you may be entitled to, and what grants you might be able to apply for.
Type of Benefits
There are several different types of benefits that you may be entitled to, including:
- Work-related benefits if you’re working, self-employed, or you’ve lost your job
- Benefits if you have children, such as Child Benefit
- Support with housing costs, including Universal Credit and Support for Mortgage Interest
- Benefits if you’re sick, disabled or a carer, such as Personal Independence Payment
- Help with costs in later life if you’re around or above retirement age, such as pension credit
Some benefits, like Universal Credit, can be tricky to navigate if you’re a freelancer. Luckily, there are free tools and resources that can help with the different application processes,
- Our friends at MoneyHelper have created a useful guide on how to apply for Universal Credit if you’re self-employed
- Turn2Us provide a free and confidential Benefits Calculator to help you find out what benefits you’re entitled to so you can make a claim
- Citizens Advice can provide support in the early stages of your Universal Credit claim through their Help to Claim Advisers
- Several organisations including Mental Health and Money Advice and Citizens Advice provide specific information and advice on disability benefits
Check your benefit entitlement?
Use our free and confidential Benefits Calculator to find out what benefits you are entitled to claim. In the last year over 2 million calculations have been made by people, like you, looking for information they deserve and need.
Welcome to the Film and Television Charity. Calls are recorded for the purposes of quality and staff training. This is a confidential service, however, there are some exceptions to this and these are where there may be a risk to your own health and safety, that of others or if you have been involved in a crime. An advisor will be with you shortly, Thank You.
All of our advisors are busy at the moment. Would you like to book an appointment?
An error occurred, please refresh your browser to try again.